Rapid Response Project
On March 23, 2010, President Obama signed into law the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), which is designed to expand coverage to 32 million people, adopt broad-reaching reforms in insurance industry practices, make major new investments in public health, and reduce the federal deficit.
The new law, with its sweeping reforms of the private health insurance marketplace, requires thoughtful and timely policy research and analysis to aid federal and state policymakers and consumer and patient advocates in implementation.
With generous support from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the Center on Health Insurance Reforms has launched a “Rapid Response” project, an ongoing series of timely issue briefs to address emerging issues in the implementation of the private health insurance reforms required by the ACA.
Following are recent papers from the Rapid Response project. You can view a full set of CHIR publications in the Publications section of this website:
"Real Stories, Real Reforms," Sabrina Corlette, JoAnn Volk, and Kevin Lucia, October 2013.
- "Launching the Medicare Part D Program: Lessons for the New Health Insurance Marketplaces," Jack Hoadley, Sabrina Corlette, Laura Summer, and Christine Monahan, June 2013.
- "The Affordable Care Act: Improving Incentives for Entrepreneurship and Self-Employment," Linda Blumberg, Sabrina Corlette, Kevin Lucia, May 2013.
- "State Insurance Exchanges Face Challenges In Offering Standardized Choices Alongside Innovative Value-Based Insurance," Health Affairs, Sabrina Corlette, David Downs, Christine H. Monahan, Barbara Yondorf, February 2013.
- "Selling Health Insurance Across State Lines: An Assessment of State Laws and Implications for Improving Choice and Affordability of Coverage," Sabrina Corlette, Christine Monahan, Katie Keith and Kevin Lucia, October 2012.
- "Plan Management: Issues for State, Partnership, and Federally Facilitated Health Insurance Exchanges," Sabrina Corlette, JoAnn Volk, and Kevin Lucia, May 2012
- "Premium Incentives to Drive Wellness in the Workplace: A Review of the Issues and Reccomendations for Policymakers," JoAnn Volk and Sabrina Corlette, February, 2012
- "The Role of Exchanges in Quality Improvement: An Analysis of the Options," JoAnn Volk and Sabrina Corlette, September, 2011.
- “"Active Purchasing for Health Insurance Exchanges: An Analysis of Options," Sabrina Corlette and JoAnn Volk, June 2011.
- “The Massachusetts and Utah Health Insurance Exchanges: Lessons Learned,” Sabrina Corlette, Joan Alker, Joe Touschner and JoAnn Volk, March 2011.